Students are required to submit a Professional Development Portfolio, as part of the Ski Level 4 ISTD Qualification or the Snowboard, Telemark, XC and Adaptive Level 3 ISIA Qualification.
The Professional Development Portfolio (PDP) illustrates the process of converting your teaching practice into personal learning and provides evidence of your professional development.
It is a record of your teaching experience which highlights your own personal teaching philosophies, strategies, and themes.
The PDP is a record of your development as a snowsports teacher.
Engaging with the PDP will help you be a more successful teacher. The
aim of the PDP is to use your teaching practice to think about your role
as a snowsports teacher,
to think critically about your teaching practice and to use that
thinking to demonstrate your learning and development.
It will be marked on the following areas:
1. Candidates will provide a clear and reasoned discussion of at least 3 learning themes. They will link their learning to real experiences from their personal teaching practice. They will use evidence from their 200 hours and reflective journal to demonstrate inter-personal and intra-personal professional learning and development.
2. Professional Knowledge - Candidates will show an accurate understanding of BASI's technical knowledge. The language used should show that the candidate understands the fundamental elements, the central theme and beyond. There should be evidence of technical knowledge being used accurately within the descriptions of practice to enhance teaching sessions.
3. Candidates will demonstrate an ability to analyse how their understanding of BASI's teaching concepts informs their practice.
4. Candidates will articulate their approach to adapting professional knowledge to work with learners to focus on achieving safe, effective teaching within a range of contexts.
5. Candidates will assess their own strengths and areas for development in relation to effective teaching and learning in snowsports.
6. Candidates will have seriously considered the presentation of the project and have made some efforts to make it both interesting and easy to read. Projects can be presented digitally. Any standard word processing program is acceptable. Diagrams should be well identified and referenced. Page numbering should be used. The project should be of between 2,000 and 4,000 words or will include the suggested number of videos.
7. References and Bibliography – Candidates will identify any sources of information you have used in your project: Quotes from and references to books, academic papers, websites or speeches should be referenced accurately and as specifically as possible.
The final date for Written Project submissions is 1st November 2023. Therefore, any members who have started work on their written project will have until this date to submit to BASI for marking. If you have completed the Written Project, you will not be required to submit the PDP.
Please submit your PDP to BASI via [email protected].
All the required information to complete the PDP can be found in your Members Area, in the "Workbooks and PIA's" tab.