Qualification Required

  • BASI Level 2 Instructor Qualification

Australia recognises BASI's Alpine, Snowboard, Nordic and Telemark qualifications and each snowsport school has its own employment requirements. As a general rule, only qualified instructors will be offered work, usually at 'hiring clinics' held in May each year - and you'll need to register before attending. There's useful information and good contacts at the Australian Professional Snowsport Instructors website 
For example of individual resorts and application forms, go to or Mt Buller's application and recruitment website here

Work Permit​

Applicants are usually expected to provide their own work permit (or 'working holiday maker visa') and you can't apply for a 'hiring clinic' until you have one, unless prior arrangement for sponsorship has been made through an individual snowsport school (e.g., Perisher). The visa program is designed for travellers to Australia to both visit and work to sustain their travel. The visa is valid for 12 months and, normally, you can only work for one employer for up to 3 months. Check out the Australian immigration website for more information and online applications. 

Other Information

For a list of resorts go to  

Please Note: Working independently, regardless of qualification, is not permitted under Australian law.

Applied for work in this country recently? Share your experience with us, we rely on our members to keep these pages up to date.