Criminal Record Disclosure (CRD) checks

Q: What is a Criminal Record Disclosure?

A: A Criminal Record Disclosure (CRD) is a government and police record check which can help employers makes safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children and vulnerable adults.

Q: Why Does BASI require a Criminal Record Disclosure?

A: As a licensing association, BASI follows good practice. It asks Members to undertake a minimum of a Basic Criminal Record Disclosure every 3 years as part of the requirements to maintain a valid instructor teaching licence. However, if you believe you will be doing regulated work with children or vulnerable groups on a regular basis, you should join the PVG Scheme (Scottish Residents Only). You will need to provide proof that you have undertaken a disclosure check and this proof can be in the form of a certificate, if you wish to provide this to BASI, or a letter from your employer confirming that you have completed the necessary level of disclosure required for your role. This should include the date of issue of the disclosure certificate.

Q: Can I take a BASI course without a Criminal Record Disclosure?

A: Yes, you can take a course without a CRD but you will not be issued with an instructor Licence unless you provide proof that you have completed a disclosure check. 

Q: How do I apply for a Criminal Record Disclosure?

A: As a minimum BASI will accept a basic disclosure.If you need a basic disclosure for a job in Scotland, apply to Disclosure Scotland. If you are applying for a job in England or Wales, apply to the Disclosure and Barring ServiceIf you want a basic disclosure for personal reasons rather than work purposes, apply where you live – if you live in Scotland, or the Disclosure and Barring Service if you live in England or Wales. For more information regarding DBS checks please see the link below.
What is a DBS check: Who needs it? How long does it take?

Residents of Other Countries. If you have been a resident in another country for more than 5 years, you will need to complete a criminal record check in that country. Below is a list of certificates BASI accept (not exhaustive).

Andorra - Request a Certificate from the Registre d’antecedents penals of the M. I. Tribunal de corts

Austria - Apply for a Stafregisterbescheinigung

Denmark - Request a certificate of Criminal Record through the Nordjyllands Politi

France - Apply to the Ministere de la justice et des graces for an Extrait de Casier Judiciaire, Bulletin No.3

Germany - Apply to the Bundesamt fur Justiz for a Fuhrungszeugnis

Ireland - Apply to the Garda Central Vetting Unit for An Garda Siochana

Italian - Request a Certificato Penale del Casellario Giudizale from the Minestero della Giustizia

Luxembourg - Apply to the Stafregisteramt des Grosserzotums Luxembourg for a Bulletin No. 3

Netherlands - Request a Verklarig Omtrent het Gedrag from the Ministerie van Justitie

Poland - Request a Criminal Record enquiry from the Ministery of Justice for a Criminal Record

Portugal - Request a Certificado de Registo Criminal from the Minesterio du Justica

Russia - Request a Reference (or Police Certificate or Certificate of Conviction) from the Chief Information Analysis Center at the Ministry of Home Affairs of Russian Federation (MHA of Russia)

Slovenia - Request a certificate (Potrdilo) from the Ministery of Justice

Spain - Request a Certifica from the Registro Central de Penados of the Ministerio de Justicia

Sweden - Request an extract from the records of the Rikspolisstyrelsen (Swedish National Police Board)


                      French speaking - Apply to the Office Federale de la Justice (OFJ) for an Extrait de Casier Judiciaire

                      German speaking - Apply to the Bundesamt fur Justiz (BJ)Auszug aus dem Schweizerischen Strafregister  

                      Italian speaking – Apply to the Ufficio federale de giustizia (UFG) for an Estratto del Casellario Giudizale

Ukraine - Request a certificate from the Ministry of the Interior of Ukraine

Q: When do I need to provide BASI with a Criminal Record Disclosure?

A: In order for BASI to issue you with a Licence to instruct (as opposed to a Membership card), you must provide proof that you have completed a disclosure check, together with a valid First Aid certificate and attend the required refresher/CPD course. The expiry dates of these required elements can be viewed in your personal member area on the BASI website.

Q: Does BASI accept CRDs from other organisations?

A: BASI has a data sharing agreement with Snowsports Scotland, Snowsports England, Snowsports Wales, DSUK and BSS and if you hold a certificate through these organisations you may give your permission for them to share this data with BASI.

Q: How often do I need to renew a CRD for BASI?

A: BASI has a policy to re-check the status of a member's disclosure every 3 years. A Basic disclosure can be renewed every 3 years and submitted to BASI as part of your licence validation procedure. Otherwise your employer can confirm in writing by e-mail or post that you have completed the necessary level of disclosure required for your role. This should include the date of issue of the disclosure certificate.

Q: What if I don’t need a licence but still want to be a BASI Member?

A: You can still be a Member without completing a disclosure. You will receive a BASI Membership card and not a BASI Licence to instruct. You will still receive BASI communications and updates and have access to BASI Members’ offers but will not be covered by BASI’s professional indemnity insurance.

Q: Is my basic disclosure good enough for my employer?

A: Depending on the work you are undertaking, your employer may require you to join the PVG Scheme (Scotland) or undertake a higher level of disclosure check that checks the barred lists for working with children. You should check directly with your employer.